It’s “Flatback”, Not “Fatback”

One of the least understood words in the tape glossary is “flatback”, and it is one of the most important features in a good console tape.

“Flatback” refers to the tape having a smooth finish and differentiates from a crepe finish (masking tape) or the rough finish that woven cloth tapes have.

Unlike vinyl tapes, which also tend to be smooth, a flatback paper tape has a finish that can be printed on or written on with an indelible marker without worry about print through.

When you are considering what to use to label any expensive electronic equipment, make sure it is flatback paper.

Leave a Reply